Trefor has a broad ranging civil practice covering Property law , Planning, Land Management, Environmental law, Regulatory law, contract disputes, Probate and Chancery matters and Family law.
Since being called to the Bar, Trefor has had a particular interest and has developed a specialism in rural and agricultural matters and the management of landed estates. He regularly represents a number of landed estates both local to North Wales and further afield. Assisted by his dual qualification as a Chartered Surveyor he is able to offer practical advice and guidance in relation to every aspect of land and property management including public and private rights of way.
The areas of work that Trefor deals with are as follows:
All aspects of property law with particular interest in:
Land Law including Landlord and Tenant (Agricultural, Commercial and Residential representing Landlords, both private and public and tenants in relation to possession, demotion and obtaining injunctive relief relating to anti-social behaviour
Public and Private Rights of way
Advising on both applications and enforcement matters and conducting Inquiries on behalf of both Local Authorities and Land Owners/ Developers.
General issues relating to Land Management with a particular interest in:
– Estate Planning including advice on taxation matters
– Diversification as to Land Use
Dealing with regulatory matters acting for both Local Authorities and private individuals particularly in relation to Renewable Energy
General Civil Litigation
Including contract claims and construction disputes.
Highways and Public Rights of Way
Advice relating to Public Rights of Way issues on behalf of both Local Authorities and private individuals.
Conduct of Inquiries including those relating to Definitive Map Modification Orders.
Contentious and non contentious matters
Contentious and non contentious matters including Cohabitation / Trust of Land Disputes
Contentious and non contentious matters including Inheritance Act claims
Generally with a specific interest in farming partnerships
Matrimonial finance with a specific interest in cases involving farming interests and landed estates
Generally, with a specific interest in cases relating to planning, environmental and agricultural matters
Trefor’s first degree was a joint honours Agriculture and Soil Science degree from the University of Wales Bangor, from which he developed an interest in land management and associated issues. From this grounding he completed a further land management qualification with the College of Estate Management whist working for a Land Agency Practice, and became a member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and latterly a Fellow of the Central Association of Agricultural Valuers.
Having spent 10 years practicing as a Chartered Surveyor and Land Agent in both private practice and the public sector he completed a post graduate diploma in Law, and attended the Bar Vocational Course at the College of Law, Chancery Lane before being called to the Bar at Gray’s Inn in 2001. Thereafter, he undertook a mixed civil and criminal pupillage with Marc Le Brocq at Nicholas Street Chambers, becoming a tenant in 2002.
Trefor appears in the County Court and High Court as well as acting for clients in Inquiries (including Planning, public footpath and other matters), arbitrations and hearings before the Land Registry Adjudicator and the Agricultural Lands Tribunal and Valuation Tribunal.
A first Language Welsh speaker Trefor is happy to conduct hearings, conferences and undertakes paper work through the medium of Welsh.
- College of Law – Bar Vocational Course.
- College of Law – Postgraduate Diploma in Law
- College of Estate Management Reading – Diploma in Land Management
- University College of Wales Bangor – BSc (Hons) Agriculture and Soil Science;
Awards & Scholarships:
- Percy Wilkinson Award – RICS written examinations
- Bob Jones Trophy – CAAV written Examinations
- Bar Vocational Course – Joint best in year – Opinion writing
Other Qualification and Accreditations:
- Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors ( MRICS)
- Fellow of the Agricultural Association of Agricultural Valuers (FAAV)
- Deputy Chairman -Residential Property Tribunal Wales
- Member of the RICS working party relating to Alternative Dispute Resolution.
- Past Chairman of the Rural Practice Division of the North Wales Branch RICS
- Past European and Parliamentary Liaison Officer North Wales Branch CAAV.
Memberships and Associations:
- Member of the Agricultural Law Association
- First language Welsh speaker