Patrick accepted a offer of Tenancy with Linenhall Chambers in October 2019 and practises in Crime, Family, Prison Law and Civil work.
Before coming to Linenhall Chambers, Patrick was a Prison Law Advisor at Instalaw Solicitors, Nottingham, and visited prisons across the country to represent prisoners at parole hearings and adjudications.
He has experience in dealing with all types of prisoner, including mandatory and discretionary lifers, IPP sentence prisoners, determinate sentence prisoners including EDS, and recall prisoners. He also has experience with vulnerable prisoners and young offenders.
Other prison law work included drafting MCA representations; requests for oral hearings; Pre-Tariff reviews; Home Detention Curfew reviews; and re-categorisation representations and appeals.
He has a particular interest and expertise in representing long-term IPP and life sentence prisoners who maintain their innocence and those who have been stuck in the system due to incomplete offending behaviour or consolidation work.
Prior to this, Patrick worked as a care assistant for adults with learning disabilities in his native Northern Ireland, working with vulnerable adults in a supported living environment. He has also volunteered as a benefits advisor with the Citizens’ Advice Bureau, a call-taker within Oxford Nightline, and had a brief role as an extra on Game of Thrones, Season 6.
- Nottingham Law School LL.M. (BPTC), Distinction (Outstanding)
- University of Oxford, BA Jurisprudence, 2:1
Awards and Scholarships
- 2017, Runner-up: Best overall student, Nottingham Law School
- 2017, Second Place, Ropewalk Mooting Competition
- 2017, Third Place, No. 1 High Pavement Plea in Mitigation Competition
- 2016, Exhibition award, the Honourable Society of the Inner Temple
- 2016, Ashworth Scholarship, the Honourable Society of the Inner Temple
- 2014, Alstead Prize for Law, Exeter College, University of Oxford
- 2013, Ashe Lincoln Prize in Law, Exeter College, University of Oxford
- The Honourable Society of the Inner Temple
- The Howard League for Penal Reform
Patrick has a fairly eclectic range of personal hobbies including hiking, reading, travelling, martial arts, and working his way through his bucket list.